Monday 25 April 2016

SCAVENGER HUNT SUNDAY and THROUGH MY LENS - Mount Stewart

Once again I have managed to find all but one of the photographs for the Scavenger Hunt Sunday word prompts at the National Trust property, Mount Stewart, near Newtownards this week.   The words are Entrance, Open, Glass, Homemade and My City.


As you can see, this is the main ENTRANCE to Mount Stewart House and the portico, that is the structure consisting of a roof supported by columns at regular intervals, and is typically attached as a porch to the building, is large enough for a  coach and horses to draw up so that anyone could alight and not get wet.


As I OPEN the door on entering the house, I notice the beautiful brass lock. This is the oldest remaining part of the house and is thought  to date back to the very first building of Mount Stewart in 1780 called Mount Pleasant.  The lock is made from West Indian Mahogany and brass and every night this door is locked with a very big key. 


As I entered the Central Hall and look up, I see the gorgeous chandelier which dates back to George IV.  It is a cut crystal GLASS chandelier hanging on a chain with eighteen lights which now has been converted to electricity.


Central Hall Chandelier
 Victorian, 1850, pointed droplets called Alberts and triangular sections called Prisms. 


As I walked into Lady Londonderry’s Sitting room, I noticed two more lovely GLASS chandeliers and asked Paul, one of the guides to explain how the boat Chandelier came to be in Mount Stewart and you can hear that in the video below.


Sailing Ship Chandelier – early 20th Century glass donated in 1921 by Lady Cunard for charity sale held in Londonderry House , London to raise money for Airmen, Soldiers  and sailors and acquired by Londonderry .

If the video does not appear below, CLICK HERE. 




Now I thought I had seen all the rooms in Mount Stewart however when  I enquired if there was anything HOMEMADE in the house, only then did I discover a well equipped pot-pourri room which Lady Londonderry used. In it there is a heated frame and racks for drying flowers quickly which apparently is the way of keeping their smell.  Lady Londonderry would make up bags of pot-pourri to sell for charity at Charity events held on the lawn e.g. Red Cross.  I found bowls of pot-pourri in some of the rooms.



I live in a town called Bangor which is 13 miles east of the nearest city called Belfast. The other day I travelled up to MY CITY, Belfast and took a photograph of the front of Belfast City Hall for you to see.  


I hope you enjoyed the photographs I  chose to illustrate the word prompts.

I am linking this post with SCAVENGER HUNT SUNDAY and THROUGH MY LENS.

Thanks you for visiting and also to all who leave comments.

25 comments:

  1. The lock looks to be ebony and brass but they should know. The security chain is a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fantastic, both from the outside as well from the inside. The glass chandelier is really unique. Thank you for linking in with "Through My Lens"!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning architecture. I love building like this one, with a huge pillars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a majestic building, my dearest Margaret, thank you for sharing always amazing photographs with us !

    Hope your week is off to a great start, I wish you most wonderful days to come, with much gratitude

    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mount Stewart is a treasure trove of wonderful items and history! The locks are a work of art too. Lovely shot of the City Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. to think that people lived like this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful selection of photos - beautiful chandeliers. A stunning house to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a wonderful building. An all those details inside of the rooms. Thank you for showing this interresting photos. Yours Marion

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, lovely place. It is beautiful inside and out. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fantastic building. Very interesting post.
    best regards
    susa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mount Stewart is an amazing place and the Chandeliers are simply gorgeous, especially the ship. You take such wonderful pictures, Margaret and go to such interesting places. Life is good, right? Thank you for sharing your photos and knowledge :P

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  12. You certainly did well with the challenge and the last item you found... the homemade potpourri -- added a lot to the story -- really personalized the story ... In my imagination I could just see her making it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A most interesting collection of photos for this scavenger hunt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on the scavenger hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing buildings, but your birds and flowers are the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful photos of this manor house, and I love the way you incorporated the Scavenger Hunt to it. The chandeliers were just beautiful, and I really enjoyed seeing the video explaining about the ship chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked the brass and oh my the chandeliers!
    Mount Stewart House is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A gorgeous building! I love these sailing ship chandalier!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will try to catch my breath! The ship chandelier is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mount Stewart is absolutely gorgeous and I love all of your pictures. That chandelier is so unusual and I certainly enjoyed watching the video. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! Those chandeliers are so extravagant and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an interesting places to visit!
    Wounderful shots!
    Have a lucky week!
    xxx Britta

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful architecture and a wonderful place to visit!

    ReplyDelete