Thursday 21 April 2016

GOOD FENCES - Walk to Quarr Abbey on the Isle of Wight

In March when I was visiting the Isle of Wight, I walked to Quarr Abbey Today come I invite you to come with me on our walk and see what I photographed.  It turned out that most of the shots had fences in them so I am lining this post to GOOD FENCES.



This is the ruins of the old Abbey.






This is Quarr Abbey today and is home to a small group of Benedictine monks who strive to dedicate their lives to the glory of God, and whose day is characterised by prayer, work and community life.


I found this is the coffee shop and the name Quarr 
has been beautiful made in tiles.


When I arrived I  slipped in while a service was in progress and took this shot after it was finished.  I talked with this Monk who was pleased I had come to visit Quarr Abbey.


I know there was a small Chapel round the back of the Abbey and on the way I photographed their graveyard where previously Monks are buried.


I thought the arches in the small Chapel with subdued lighting were very beautiful.


On the way home I passed this gateway and thought of Theresa of Good Fences.  Not one that you would see in Texas but one you will see in the UK.


I hope you enjoyed our walk and all that we saw on the way.


Many thanks for visiting and also to all who leave comments.

26 comments:

  1. So glad you took us on a tour of this wonderful Abbey! The shots of the arches are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Margaret, the photos of the Abbey and chapel are lovely. The horses are my favorite, cute photos.Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed my walk immensely Margaret, what a beautiful place. Love your shots. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always enjoy visiting places like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, Margaret ... I love the shots of the Abby, both inside and out and many great fences. I love stone fences so that was probably my favorite. Very nice, indeed :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  6. One part of the UK I've never been to..............

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those shots of the Abby are great--- I think you really caught the place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A truly marvelous abbey Margaret, super photos of the horses too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fine tour of the Quarr Abby, and I especially enjoyed your horse photos. They still have the fuzzy winter coats as well as warm blankets. It must still be cold there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful arches/apogees in that church! lovely wooly horses, too. thanks, margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful place to visit. Thanks for taking us along for this lovely photo tour. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely tour of the Quarr Abby. Wonderful images!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How nice to get a chance to speak to the Monk and spend time there. We've really had the horses for good fences today! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful images! This post really makes me wish I could travel and see such beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful walk. The Abbey was lovely. The fences there are quite nice and the horse were fun to see as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the stone wall. That is an impressive gate, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty horses! And what a nice old stone building too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful horses, the abby is quite lovely as well!!! looks like a wonderful place to walk around and take pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful post. The horses are beautiful. I especially like the photos of the Abbey. Such a place of peace and tranquility! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. such beautiful photography with wonderful variety of shots ~ love the horses!

    Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've very enjoyed your walk to the marvellous old Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  22. The horses seem to have a cold time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely photos of Quarr Abbey - a wonderful place to visit :) I spotted a Red Squirrel when we were last there :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The ponies rugged up take me straight back to my youth! They look so cute.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the horses and the arches in the chapel.

    ReplyDelete