Wednesday 11 June 2014

White - cheeked Honeyeater

White-cheeked Honeyeater - Phylidonyris niger 16–19 cm

This birds habitat is forest, rainforest margins, heath undergrowth areas of open forest, woodland and  sandplains. This bird has a distinctive yapping call: ‘chwikup, chwikup’; ‘chwipit-chwipit’; ‘chakup-chakup-chakup’. Its song is a more musical, less sharp ‘chwippy-choo, chwippy-choo’ and lilting ‘twee-tee, twee-tee, twee-tee’, often given in display song flight when breeding. Locally migratory or nomadic.


Breeding

Breeds any time; activity peaks August–November. and March.–May; often nests in loose colonies. Cup nest is substantial, thick walled; made of bark strips, grass, leaves; thickly lined with softer material. Nest is supported and hidden by foliage of a low, dense shrub, clump of grass or reeds. 

Clutch 2–3 (21 x 15 mm). Female incubates, 15 days; both sexes feed young. 
Fledge at 13–15 days. 


It travels nomadically in search of nectar.   This is the only other shot that I could find quickly in my archives for you to give you an idea of its habitat.

Congratulations go to Stewart who hosts this meme on reaching his 100th WBW.

I am linking this post with WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY.

Many thanks for visiting today and tomorrow I will continue the journey I started posting about last week on making my way to Tory Island.  I hope you will join me.

Many thanks for all who left comments on any of my posts.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful bird and very nice photos. Those birds are regulars around here - especially out in the scrub - and their nests are extremely hard to see in the bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very original bird ! Really beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like most of our birds, beautiful - but not musical.
    Congratulations to Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is an impressive bird, and look at that long curved beak. All the better to get the nectar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the yellow on this bird is stunning and I like it when I read that both Mom and Dad are involved in the feeding or raising of their young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice shots of the honeyeater!
    I've never seen it in real life.
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful bird, the yellow color really stands out.. Thanks for sharing, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely coloured Honeyeater Margaret - haven't seen this particular one but I love watching them get at the nectar :D)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice shots and thanks for the brief notes on this bird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the streaks of yellow on this bird. I can imagine how difficult it is to get a picture, but I think your first photo is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful bird and thank you for sharing these pictures! I never seen a White Cheeked Honeyeater before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a very beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing the great photos of this lovely bird and the information about the bird.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another gorgeous bird from your country♡♡♡ Lovely name "Honeyeater" ♪♪♪

    Sending you lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful shots of this honey eater. Also really enjoyed this information about this bird.

    ReplyDelete