Thursday 26 June 2014

GOOD FENCES - Copeland Island in May

This is Donaghadee Harbour and its Lighthuose on the end of the pier and where I left for to go to the Lighthouse (Bird) Island, one of the Copeland Islands.  Some of the fences in this post are obvious like the first one, however many are more subtle and you have to look for them.  There are a some shots that have no fences!



There is the Donaghadee Lifeboat moored at the pier and the skipper of that vessel always takes us over to the Copeland Island.  Today (and for my first time) we were being taken over on the rib.  Below is Ian (left) and Wesley (right), sitting in front of me.




Just out of the harbour, I take a look back at Donaghadee and snatch a shot before this very powerful rib took off!


This weekend, I have been given a different bedroom and this is the view over to Mew Island seen through the Heligoland trap.


The first thing I always do when landing on the island is to do a bit of exploring to see what is around before starting to help Wesley put up the mist nets.  I was pleased to see the beautiful Bluebells all over the island.


High on the cliffs there were 2 Perigrines flying and continually making there call.


There were many Herring Gulls and these tow very kindly sat on this stone fence for my photograph.


I saw this Small Toirishell butterfly and Ladybird.



I am pleased to say that Trevor from The Herald blog identified this Moth for me.  Many thanks for that Trevor.

It is Sandy Carpet (perizoma flavofasciata). 


This is a view looking over to Mew Island from the house.


This is my bedroom window from the outside, 
once again looking though the Heligoland trap.


As Wesley and I walk round putting up nets, I marvel at the paths bordered by Bluebells and looking out to sea.


This is Wesley, the Duty Officer for the weekend, putting up a mist net and notice the wonderful sunny evening we are fortunate to have had. 
(a fence in the making!)


Although the Perigrine’s were very high and flying fast, I managed a few shots but next week you will be amazed to see what I managed to photograph regarding the Perigrine (taken in June, 1 month on!) 


Apart from Bluebells, there was this wonderful pink Campion and as you can (just) see, some of the fences are just wire and a post.





Lesser Black backed Gull


Wesley and I watched from on top of this cliff as these ships passed by.  One was freight while the other was a luxury cruiser.



One ship on top of another!





This is the remains of the old Lighthouse and it now stands next to the ringing laboratory.


Wesley ringed this Reed bunting above and Chaffinch below that evening.



Now it was getting dark and we went into the house to have dinner however not before I managed a few shots of the sunset.





We will leave the story there for now as the ships pass in and out of Belfast Lough as sunset falls.  It will continue tomorrow.

There is a short video which can be access at

http://youtu.be/Jnn6U-S0Vuw

If there is a black space below, click it and the video will appear.



I am linking this post with Tex's meme, GOOD FENCES

I thank you for visiting and commenting.  Hope you enjoyed this post.


34 comments:

  1. Thank you for yet another wonderful excursion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photographs, Margaret - I have really enjoyed coming along with you to this beautiful island! The lovely painted boats, the lighthouses, the beautiful flowers and scenery, and of course, the birds - all so beautiful. I enjoyed the previous post, also, with the falcons and variety of seabirds and the cuckoo. Thank you for taking us along to this beautiful place! - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place! So green and so pretty. As always, your photos are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, I love the lighthouse and the pretty bluebells. Beautiful scenic shots and a lovely post. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post! That lighthouse is awesome....and LOVE the butterfly too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Margaret, I was truly enchanted at the beauty of your island. The bluebells and campions make for such pretty scenes. Everything is so interesting in your post, thank you :D)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos Margaret . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post, full of all kinds of interesting things. Your photos are really pretty.
    Here from GOOD FENCES.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You post so many appealing photos of places I would LOVE to be! Thanks, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful lighthouse and area. love the stone fence with the setting sun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another amazing island visit! I'm just drawn into the landscape you have photographed so well here. Beautiful evening shots and the birds are lovely. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pics! I especially like all the pretty wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! I love the first one of the lighthouse, the sunset and the pink Campions next to the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this was one fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, another wonderful photo journal Margaret. Lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful photos and i just loved that pathway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous photos.....I particularly like 'one ship on top of another'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely post Margaret with some super views around your temporary island home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The sunset is gorgeous! But for me, the star of the show today are the bluebells. And the shot of them lining the path to the sea is truly heart stopping, how wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed this series of beautiful photos topped off by that fantastic sunset! That first light house is super, too. You visit the most interesting and beautiful places!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoy seeing lighthouses and this is a really nice one. The sunsets are gorgeous. Beautiful scenery all around.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The bluebells are so dainty and pretty. It's a treat to get to see the lighthouse and big ships go by. You are taking some amazing photos! Enjoy your time there! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful scenes. The colour of those Bluebells is amazing,such a true blue.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a beautiful day by the shore!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely photos!
    The lighthouse reminded me of a lighthouse my daddy took me to see.
    We climbed up the stairs and were permitted to see the light up close.
    I haven't thought of this in a good 40 years.
    Thanks for that and the pictures and story you have shared.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Chandra Sometimes it is good to remember happy times from our childhood and I am glad that happened to you when you saw my post. Keep watching as there is a lot more to come regarding Copeland Island (when I get it all edited!!!) It is a lot of work and as you can see I am still in MAY!! Many thanks for your comment and have a great weekend.

      Delete
  26. Wow Margaret, these are beautiful photos and such an interesting post. That initial classic lighthouse photo is stunning. Looks like such an interesting project. Doesn't the banding irritate the bird when flying or walking afterwards? Thanks for this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CM I am so glad you liked this post and I hope you will continue to pop in to see the rest in the series. I am forever in a catching up position!! Anyhow, I am amazed when I watch the birds being ringed, when handled correctly, they are very calm and cooperative.and a ringer has been trained many years before being aloud to ring a bird and even then, they are watched very carefully. There are different ring sizes to fit each bird and therefore when attached, they do no harm at all to the bird. they also are as light as a feather so they have no trouble flying. Keep watching my post as I will show you in the ringing laboratory and how a bird is held in the hand. Thanks for your comments. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  27. Your lovely images convey the beauty of this marvellous place superbly, Margaret. Thank you for bringing 'a new part of the world' to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a fascinating place. I'm curious as to what a "mist net" is used for. Also why are you banding birds there?
    Loved the lighthouse and that path with the gorgeous flowers. I would so enjoy visiting this place. Also what a cool shot of both the ships together. I think it would be wonderful to take a cruise on one of those luxury liners.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a fascinating place. I'm curious as to what a "mist net" is used for. Also why are you banding birds there?
    Loved the lighthouse and that path with the gorgeous flowers. I would so enjoy visiting this place. Also what a cool shot of both the ships together. I think it would be wonderful to take a cruise on one of those luxury liners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Ada Many thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. Mist nets are used by ornithologists and bat biologists to capture wild birds and bats for banding or other research projects. Mist nets are typically made of nylon mesh suspended between two poles, resembling an oversized volleyball net. If you look up this site, you will learn why birds are banded/ringed. http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/ringing/ringing-scheme

      If you look at this post of last year (and even the ones around the same time) you will see a mist net in operation as well as other traps. http://birdingforpleasure.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/copeland-island-visited-part-2.html

      Also this post. http://birdingforpleasure.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/copeland-island-visited-part-3_16.html

      I hope this answers your question.

      Delete
  30. I'm glad somebody asked about the mist net...although, I did think after seeing the banding that it must be for catching them .... I'll have to Google it to check more on it... I'm surprised it isn't a bit dangerous to the birds... how do they not get injured? ..I'll see when I Google it....

    thanks for a fun trip...

    ReplyDelete