Thursday 21 March 2013

Birding at Newton Nature Reserve on the I.O.W.

Well, it's official.  Spring is here.  My daughter and I had a day out together and she took me to Newton Nature Reserve.  The tide was out and so there were a good number of birds on the mud.  I estimate there were 1000 Dark-bellied  Brent both feeding in the water and in a nearby field.
Adult Dark -bellied Brent

Dark-bellied Brent
Brent with a few Curlews
On the way down to the bird hide, we saw Wren, 2 Jackdaw, both with very long sticks for their nesting material, Robin and most of the Tits.

At the hide we meet a volunteer who was most helpful.  As I was unable to bring my own telescope over from N.Ireland, she set hers up for me to look through.  We saw flocks of Golden Plover, Knot and Dunlin along with Redshank, Oystercatcher, Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Teal, Mallard and Poachard.
Redshank

On our way to Dimola Lodge for lunch, we saw a Kestrel and 2 Buzzard.   Dimbola Lodge was the home of the celebrated Victorian photographer Julia Margaret Cameron. It is now a Museum and Gallery dedicated to her life and work, which also showcases contemporary exhibitions from photographers around the globe.  Both the broccoli soup with large slices of Stilton cheese in it and the Museum were wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment