Friday 29 March 2013

Birding In Near Freezing Conditions!

The day dawned with bright sunshine even through the weather girl was telling me that it was going to be very cold.  However I decided to go bird watching locally.  So I dawned 7 layers on my top half, 5 on my bottom half and 2 hats and a muffler for my lower face. Now I was ready for anything!
I started at Bangor Pier where I watched the antics of the Black Guillemots and photographed a Meadow Pipit and 2 Adult breeding Shags  There were the usual Gulls and Turnstones sitting at the Long Hole.
Black Guillemot
Sitting outside nest site.

The Long Hole, Bangor Co Down 


Breeding Shags
Meadow Pipit
Just as I was leaving the Pier, I saw a 1st year Shag that had climbed on the steps at the water.
1st year Shag
Shaking the water off his wings
Head of Shag
As I went round Seacliffe Road, I saw a pair of breeding Eider
Male Eider

Male and Female Eider
Around at Ballyholme, there were numerous herring, Black-headed and Common Gulls, some bathing in a puddle of water.  there were also a flock of Light-bellied Brent Geese that landed and started feeding on the grass.  Some came down to the puddle to have a drink and it was deep enough for some to swim in.
Light-bellied Brent Geese
Watch Video of Light-bellied Brent at bottom of post.

As the tide was quite high, I went round to South Briggs Rock where I saw a Gannet and 2 sandwich Terns who were both fishing.  On the grass was a very noisy Carrion Crow.
Sandwich Tern with snow capped hills of Antrim

Sandwich Tern fishing
Sandwich Tern
Carrion Crow

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete