Wednesday 20 March 2013

Green Woodpecker


What a difference a day makes!  Today it was sunny so Charlie and I went on a different walk.  I walked on a path through Ryde Golf course and saw numerous Wood Pigeon, Crows, and Black –headed Gulls feeding off the fairways and greens.  The small birds were again singing well today after such a rainy day yesterday.  I saw all the Tits including the Long –tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Song Thrush, Dunnock, Sparrow, Robin, Blackbird and was very fortunate to see a Green Woodpecker in a bunker. 

 I ended up on Binstead beach where there were 3 Dark-bellied Geese, 51 Sanderling and 27 Turnstone.
Sanderling
Dark -bellied Brent Geese
 Now birding with a dog is not very easy and I had to put Charlie on the lead while I tried to photo the birds. However when I let him off again, he made straight for the Turnstone and of course they lifted.   However this was a blessing in disguise because they made for 2 rocks a bit further out in the water and when I looked through my binoculars, along with the Turnstones there were 3 Grey Plovers.
Turnstone
Grey Plover and Turnstone
There were also Great Black-backed Gulls that seemed to have paired up.  I continued my walk onto Ryde Sea front where there were 11 more Sanderling, 12 Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail and Common Gull.
Just thought as Charlie and I have been walking pals for the past week, I had better show you what he looks like.
Charlie and myself

No comments:

Post a Comment