Sunday 26 May 2013

Crossing 'The Narrows' between Portaferry and Strangford town

As promised from yesterday's post, I promised you a video of the ferry that we boarded to cross 'The Narrows' which are at the mouth of Strangford Lough leading out to the Irish Sea.  There has been a ferry service between Portaferry and Strangford, without a break, for almost four centuries.

The ferry which transports people and vehicles bewtween Portaferry and Strangford towns.
The narrows have very strong tidal flows (up to 8knts), cross sets, uneven bottom raises rough seas, assorted rocks.   The ebb against wind can produce dangerous seas up to 1 mile off.  The Skippers are very skilled seamen to nagiate such dangerous waters.  There are some huge whirlpools and if you fell in, would be sucked under very quickly and lost forwever.



As it has taken me hours to upload and edit all these short vidoes, tomorrow I will show you the walking group on the ferry as we cross to the other side.  As it has taken me hours to upload and edit all these short vidoes, tomorrow I will show you the walking group on the ferry as we cross to the other side.

I cannot get the rest of my photos on this post so I will insert them into another one. 
Thank you for your patience

6 comments:

  1. Love the video. The scenery around the ferry is beautiful. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eileen Yes it was a lovely day althoguh a bit blowy on the ferry. thanks for commenting.Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes for a neat ship cutting through the water. you have a lovely voice and accent. :)

    i laughed at the kid making the bugle sound. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tex Many thanks for the comments. When I am taking a video I never know whether to turn the sound off or do some talking but usually somewhere along the line, I have someone else talking in the backgrouond to me, not knowing I am videoing!! I would like to put a commentary on when I am joining the videos but do not know how to do this. HELP someone!! Well this was the first joined up video I have ever done. Will do better again!! Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made an excellent job with the video Margaret. Enjoyed it.

    Not sure how to add commentary to video; I guess it depends on what software you are using. On my videos, I just rattle on as I film it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith I did thevideo all on youtube. That was the only way I knew (well I worked it out-eventually. you are mostly on your own when you are recording so no one else is going to interupt. I will get better. I have been encouargaed by your videos. Thanks for that. Margaret

    ReplyDelete