Wednesday 8 June 2016

Bonchurch and E. Cowes I.O.W. (Part 3 )

Today we continue our walk of Bonchurch and East Cowes and Gillian and I are heading away from the beach to the many steps that will take us  to the top of the Downs.  I was pooped at the top and I was sure my daughter was trying to kill me off!!  Anyone else out of breath?







At the top we walked back via the road (thank goodness) and notice the round chimneys made of small stones, the huge tree and lovely Primroses. 



Finally we reached the beach and sea again and found this quaint little cafe.  I was mesmerised by all  the items that the owner had collected over the years.


Are any of them familiar to you?



This is the owner’s son and do you see those yellow cups and saucers with the pattern on them on the shelf?  Well we bought the same ones 50 years ago on our honeymoon in Poole, Devon, UK and I still have them however for the past 40 years they have resided in my old caravan and I still use them.



Anyone remember these cigarettes? 


Although it was the middle of March it was warm enough to sit outside and have lunch watching the world go by and the sea ebbing and flowing.

If you missed the first 2 parts CLICK Part 1 and Part 2.

I hope you enjoyed this post and tomorrow I am showing you an unusual wall in a garden so until then, thanks for popping in and also many thanks to all who leave comments.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, those steps! You must have had to drink many cups of coffee to make them all! I adore those chimneys; they are my favorite of everything!!! And my second favorite is the big beautiful tree. Those mugs must be awesome to have been around for so long. Maybe very sturdy. My mom had a sewing machine just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful views in your walking trip. Ans I love also all of the old items in the cafe.
    Have a nice new week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOT a walk I could have done, but I am so very grateful that you could and took us with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the narrow stairway goes up between the rocks like that & those lovely stone chimneys are really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such lovely collection Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great photos and loved the walk you took. The shop with the memorabilia would have fascinated me, and yes I remember the Woodbines. I believe my parents smoked them back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Margaret, those steps are unbelievable. And the chimneys are so pretty. I recognize the yellow enamel teapot and the Woodbines advert. I shudder to think of the pain the owner's son endured to have that large tattoo done on his neck! Have a great day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steep and narrow indeed. Why do great things always have to be at the top? Uff da.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was some lovely nostalgia in that cafe Margaret. I think I would have spent ages in there just soaking up the memoraabilia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of stairs, but they are going up through a very interesting crevice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steep, narrow steps but so worth it! Lots of lovely things to enjoy, not least that quaint coffee shop! you deserved a nice cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margaret, great relationship and very beautiful pictures.
    Decor fantastic cafes.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pictures of a lovely place x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great showing Margaret, and, I used to smoke, and I thought Woodbine were bottom of list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow--- Wild Woodbine Cigarettes! Well done. Especially the interior shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's some pretty steep steps. you deserved your rest in that adorable cafe... love how you had the same cups/ saucers too. so glad you have enjoyed your visit...

    ReplyDelete
  17. you bring us to some amazing places. i don't think i could have climbed the stairs but they were interesting and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodness what a climb Margaret - I'd have collapsed when I reached the top!! You probably won't thank me for this but last time we were there we drove up to the top of the Downs just West of Bonchurch! The cafe looks interesting - when we return to Bonchurch will look out for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those steps do look pretty challenging and think it was great you made it up them. Reminds me that I am leaving tomorrow to do some hiking down into a canyon at 9000 foot elevation. Will let you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete