Tuesday 15 March 2016

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY - Lilac-breasted Roller

This was Martin, Marie and my favourite bird while we were journeying round Kruger National Park.  They like perching on the top of branches so they are easier to photograph.  I hope you like it as much as we did.


29 cm (37 cm incl. streamers); 90–135 g


Adult is distinctive with pointed tail streamers, turquoise crown, nape and mantle, and lilac breast. Streamers lost during winter moult, but crown and breast distinctive. Juv. duller; lacks elongated tail feathers. 



Voice: 
Harsh ‘chak', often repeated when agitated; flight call ‘grak grak grarrak'.


 Common resident in savanna.


Perches conspicuously, often along telephone lines.


I am linking this post with WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY.

 I will show you 4 more different birds tomorrow for Kruger National Park.

Many thanks for visiting and also for leaving any comments.

1 comment:

  1. It's a gorgeous bird! I love the different shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete