Friday 13 January 2017

FRIDAY'S HUNT and WEEKEND REFLECTIONS

For Friday’s Hunt this week it is the letter B, Favourite and Creature and I am also linking to Weekend Reflections.  All the shots were taken with David in his garden in Malawi.  Our first exciting CREATURE we found was the BAGWORM Moth and below there is a video of David telling me about it.



The cases of bagworm moths are attached to rocks, trees or leaves, but they do not stay rooted to the same spot. The caterpillar remains mobile as it hunts for food, and it carries the protective case along with it wherever it goes. They move somewhat like turtles, pushing their heads out of the opening at the top to advance forward and then drag the case behind. The case has another, smaller opening at the bottom. The caterpillar comes out from the top to feed and ejects the waste from the bottom end. The bottom opening is also the exit hatch for the emerging adult. If the caterpillar feels threatened it can seal off the end of the cocoon, cutting a new opening once the threat has passed. 

If the video does not appear below, CLICK HERE.



As the bagworm grows, it expands its case by adding more twigs to the top. They poke their head out of the top of their case, collect additional twig, cuts them off to appropriate size and attaches them temporarily to the top of the case. They then disappear inside to cut a slit where they plan to attach the new stick.


Above you can see BARK from this tree and below a BRANCH with a hole in it where BEES were nesting.  




Very high in the dark canopy were these tiny BATS



  This is a BIRD BATH with a REFLECTION in it and perhaps my FAVOURITE shot today although I found the Bagworm Moth fascinating.

Many thanks for visiting and also for leaving comments.

18 comments:

  1. This Bagworm is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen!!!! On the other hand, the little bats are very cute. You find the most amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a bagworm's home on my veranda last year and was fascinated.
    Love the bats too.
    A Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fascinating post, Margaret! I did not know about the bagworm - another example of the wonderful diversity that nature provides. My favourite is definitely the bats - they are simply adorable. I wish we had more around here but they have been decimated by the white nose fungus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating to read about the Bagworm moth - have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have Bagworms here sometimes on some of our big trees... YUK-Y.....

    Great reflection shot...

    Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday season.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bagworm thing is fascinating! The video really helped with the proper size perspective. I was so confused thinking it was a lot bigger just looking at the first picture haha I was a little concerned there were caterpillars that big, then I put it all together ;o)

    Also loved the adorable bats! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right about the bag worm being fascinating. No sure I've ever seen one. Love your reflections photos, lovely shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so informative. I have never seen a bag worm, or should I say that if I have seen one I did not recognize it as an animate creature! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the birdbath as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were treated to views of some fascinating creatures today. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Bagworm is something I had never even heard about.It is most unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked your video, Margaret. Thank you. We have bagworms in Texas but they don't use twigs, etc, in the making of their habitat. Essentially they spin a large area spread thickly over large areas, from branch to branch. They do their things inside. The worms are small in size.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...a wonderful "B" roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice reflection! Never heard of bagworms, they seem like interesting creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those tiny bats are amazing! I don't like bats flying around my head...but I love seeing your photos! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That moth is just fascinating! Love the bats. I do like the reflection as well. Thanks so much for joining Friday's Hunt. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete