Friday 30 September 2016

FRIDAY'S HUNT and WEEKEND REFLECTIONS - Mount Stewart House Nursery (Part 1)

Once again we are linking with FRIDAY’S HUNT and WEEKEND REFLECTIONS.  Today we are asked to illustrate using the letter N, a favourite and I Made it and all the photographs were taken during the Conversations Weekend of 17/18 September  Below is my reflections image taken in the Formal Garden of Mount Stewart. 

 During one of my free times, I took a tour of the NURSERY in the house, a place that is not normally open to the public but I found it fascinating as this was were Lady Rose was brought up for 16 years and only allowed into the main house with adults for half an hour a day!  However she spent many happy hours playing and exploring the wonderful gournds of the estate.  In fact she still lives at Mount Stewart for 6 months of the year but of course not now in the Nursery!!!
I

I will not be showing all of the photographs as there are too many so today I will be showing you Lay Rose’s bedroom and her Nanny/ Governess’s bedroom and then this coming Monday I will show you a fascinating room between these 2 rooms which was used for all meals, classroom, playroom and general sitting room.




I was not sure of what these 2 pieces of furniture they and the guide had gone on as I was still photographing and so I have no opportunity to ask her.  Perhaps a blogger will know?  The top one probably is a washing stand however it is really small and probably was only either used when Lady Rose was younger or a dolls one.



Above is the entrance from the room I will show you on Monday into Nanny’s/Governess’ bedroom below.




This is a tiny kitchen where Nanny would make afternoon tea etc.


These 2 shots are photographs of photographs because I forgot how to work my scanner!!!  I MADE THIS dress for my daughter when she was going to a Formal Dance when she was about 18 years old and also a good number of years later I was able to wear it in an operatic choir when the TV company in Northern Ireland were recording 2 one hour programmes of this event from the Ulster Hall in Belfast.


WOW!  I never thought I would get this post finished so I hope you enjoyed it and thanks for visiting.


Many thanks for anyone who leaves comments on this post.

17 comments:

  1. In fact I DO know what this table with the hole in it is. It is for your washing up. A wash basin is put in the hole and filled with water to wash your hands and face with. Your daughter looks so much like you! At first I thought she was a younger you! The bedrooms are nice and airy, but not to stay in as long as that poor child did. Hopefully she was allowed to play outside. The tiny kitchen is dark and dismal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness you are a talented seamstress.
    I am pretty certain that the first mystery piece of furniture would have held a wash basin. A hand basin, and mirror to do a lady's toilette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize children were kept to the nursery to age 16. How confining. Stunning dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post. The dress is amazing, and you should be very proud to be able to wear a dress that your daughter wore as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing history, and everything is so nicely constructed! I like Elephant's Child answer of wash basin, it fits perfect for the mystery idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a seamstress, too, no less. Your talents seem to be unending! Interesting seeing the nursery and governess areas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the interesting tour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely "little home" and I didn't know that your are a fashion designer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photograph of the pond is just beautiful - what a lovely garden. The tour of the nursery area was a fascinating glimpse into the past. How amazing that you and your daughter can wear the same dress size - and what a fabulous dress you made!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is fabulous on you! What a gorgeous house that is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the antiques at Mount Stewart, each room with furniture crafted from real wood, and not the particleboard junk that is used in modern furnishings. The pond is lovely. You made a lovely dress that looks and wears well still - wonderful craftsmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely reflection in the formal garden

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful place with great reflections. Loved the dress you created :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must be a nice feeling to make something so beautiful and useful! Great reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Mount Stewart House had a very nice nursery, most any girl should be delighted to have such a nice one. Thank you, Margaret, for showing it. The formal dress you made for your daughter is soooo pretty.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. How interesting to think Lady Rose only saw her parents for a half hour each day. I'm sure her Nanny was more of a mother to her. Your evening gown is beautiful--both your daughter and you look so pretty in it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful series. It is quite interesting to hear about Lady Rose's upbringing. Love the dress you made! Thanks so much for joining me for Friday's Hunt. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete