Saturday 2 July 2016

SATURDAY CRITTERS - Great Saltee ( Part 7)

Well today we are making the short 15 minute boat journey over to Great Saltee Island, Co, Wexford, Ireland and I became the Princess of the island for the day.  See me on my throne!!  VIDEO at the end of post.



Off we go.  NO you will NOT be sea sick today, it is flat calm.


That is Danny standing on the left and Brian at the stern of the boat who organised the trip for us.


Shortly we reach these 2 boats and we all transfer into the dingy as there is no proper landing quay at the island.


These are the steps we climb up and I hope you can read about the island below.  It is privately owned and no one can stay overnight on the island.  There is only the one family house that occasionally they use.






Of course I had to take my proper position on my throne when I came to the island and Danny took my official photograph!  



See, even the Oystercatcher gives me a Royal bow.


 There is a huge Gannery on the island and a great many Puffins so BEWARNED, many photographs coming up over the next few weeks of them.






I am linking this post with SATURDAY CRITTERS.


If the video does now appear, CLICK HERE



Tomorrow I will show you a video of Gannets and Auks flying.

Many thanks for your visit and also all your comments.

24 comments:

  1. wunderfull ! all these birds in the rocks * nice to see your video with comments !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Princess? Queen at least. Love the puffins. Always love puffins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks well worth the trip. A pity they breached the causeway or you could have walked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Margaret. What an interesting post about Saltee Island. Brian looks like a crusty ole seaman. Love that you're crowned Princess. I love your photos of puffins and look forward to seeing more of them in your future posts. Blessings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Queen Margaret of Saltee! Your puffin subjects are beautiful & the realm itself is a fine place!
    Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Margaret, what a cool outing. The boat ride, the gannets and the puffins are all just wonderful. Great collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! The puffins are a unique bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots of real nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the puffins! And all hail the queen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an event ~ I love puffins ~ all great shots ~ (Used to seen puffins in Maine when boating)

    Happy Independence Day Weekend to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful surprise! As you know, your puffin header has been my all time favorite! And now more puffins! I adore them!! I love the first picture of the two looking down on the one (must be a pecking order thing). Also seeing their burrow, and the face close up at the end. SO, I see Saltee has a Prince! Perhaps this was his throne. I would need a thick cushion. So it is his heirs that live there from time to time? And why the name? They seem to have changed their ordinary last name to Saltee... you had a cute little red boat, but the dinghy would be frightening to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aye, and a fine looking queen you are... Love the puffins. Who wouldn't love puffins! Another great share....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saltee Island looks so mysterious and magical! It looks right out of an adventure novel. I loved your photos and video. It was fun to see you sitting on the 'throne" and the end of the video where you showed your party all taking photos of all the wonderful birds there, the Puffins are certainly photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic photos!!! Happy weekend!:)

    xxBasia

    ReplyDelete
  15. they're so adorable. cute throne!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Puffins are almost comical looking.Thanks for sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous pics, love the puffins. I saw them when we were in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always knew you were royalty! That is calm water.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful journey you had.
    Fascinating marine pictures.
    Cute puffin bird pictures.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful island - love the pictures of you on the throne :) Great photos of the puffins - look forward to seeing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think we both share a love of puffins, so post all the puffin photo you want. What a great trip to Saltee Island. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete