Tuesday 18 November 2014

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY- White-faced Whistling Ducks in Malawi

I saw these White-faced Whistling Ducks in Malawi. and only managed this one shot although I shot a small video that you can see at the end of this post. Look out for the Hippos!  If you wish to see and learn more about the Hippos. CLICK HERE.  

The ducks are 44-48cm in size.  They are a dark brown duck with a diagnostic, white face and throat (sometimes stained brown), chestnut foreneck and blackish belly.  Much darker on neck and breast than Fulvous Whistling Duck, with finely barred flanks and blackish vent.  Appears all-dark in flight apart from the white face. Juvenile has a dirty brown face.


Voice: Distinctive 3-note, wispy whistle, ‘whit we-weeer'. Status and biology: Common resident and nomad at freshwater lakes, lagoons and adjacent grassland, often in large flocks. Feeds on land and in water; occasionally dives for up to 10 seconds.

Now if you cannot see the video below, CLICK HERE 



I hope you enjoyed this short post and I am linking it with 



Thanks you for visiting.



Many thanks for leaving comments on any of my posts.

20 comments:

  1. Did your daughter ever get the binoculars? I wonder if this group every go Tex's way:-). Loved the Hippos too...thank you for the suggestion, not it though. Have a great day, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means every time I start to video my family want something or ask me a question!!! I had to stop the video to hand the bin to my daughter behind me. Liked you liked the Hippos That reminds me I meant to put a link to more Hippos and video. Will do that now.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your photos of these ducks and the video of the hippos. Thanks Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a pretty duck with such a cutie pie face!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Margaret and so plentiful too. Hard to take videos with people around but nice anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How simply beautiful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the one photo you got is sure a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love to see whistlers of all kinds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Dear Margaret
    I missed you and your beautiful blog.
    I missed the showing of foto fantastic flora and fauna.
    Beautiful photos.
    Greetings from Polish.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed seeing the video very much! Great post, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post and enjoyed your video.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the whistling ducks ... very distinctive with their white faces. Love the Hippos too, but glad they were a bit of a distance. They can be very aggresive, I understand. Your trip seems to be filled with endless finds and discoveries ... I think your granddaughter will be wise beyond her years after this trip :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. they look cool with their white face :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of whistlers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm always fascinated by Whistling-Ducks so it's nice to see an African species, and a very beautiful one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty ducks! Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete