Tuesday 29 July 2014

WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY "The Young Ones" on Copeland Island in June (8)

While I was on the Copeland Island in June, I came across 3 nearly fledged chick and also a Herring Gull being born.  Today I will show you the photos I managed to shot. Firstly, there are always 2 Ringed Plovers on the island but on the Saturday I could only see one parent at a time, however on Sunday just before the boat came to take us home, I went back and both parents were together so I scarred the pebble beach and eventually spotted the newly fledged chick.  I was delighted as I had never seen one before. 












Ringed Plover chick.


Can you see the chick?  This shot above is fully zoomed in on my camera.
All the other photographs are cropped heavily!








There are a small number of Pied Wagtail that nest on the island and I had seen some parents but from the kitchen window I saw a young one so ran out and captured these photographs.





My next find was a newly fledged Oystercatcher which I saw several times however only managed to capture in a few still and video once (at end of the shots in this post),  There are quite a number of pairs of Oystercatchers nest on the island and these first shots are of this adult who is not the parent of the chick.  They were taken in a different area of the island and I think she was trying to protect her nest.







Oystercatcher chick.




Lastly I saw one of the Herring Gull chicks being born.  
You will see that on the video.

I have a short video of the Oystercatcher and chick and a Herring Gull being born which can be accessed at

http://youtu.be/nkr8wpg0-kg

If there is a black space below, click it and the video will appear.



I hope you enjoyed seeing these “young ones” as much as I did finding and photographing them. 

I am linking this post with WILD BIRD WEDNESDAY.

Thank you for your visit.

Many thanks to all who left comments on any of my posts.

26 comments:

  1. Grand video of the hatching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicks are so cute, but I am still besotted with the Oyster Catcher. And how wonderful when he spreads his wings, even more stunning! It is a real treat to see the little chick. I see a plover is standing on one leg. I have read that birds do that to conserve their body heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice set of pictures. I managed to see some Oystercatcher chicks - pictures will probably be along in the next month!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible thing to see - let alone capture. They look like something 'only a mother could love' until they dry don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing to see a wild bird hatching! The Plovers were a great sight too, but I was quite drawn to all the unusual (for me) seaweed in the picture also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a lovely series Margaret; a wonderful location to stay a while like you did ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How delightful, such great shots! The chicks are adorable. Thanks for the walk thru nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really amazing video Margaret. Love the landscapes as well.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margaret, just so much to enjoy in this post. Thanks, so, for sharing your birding adventures on Copeland Island.
    All those chicks are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing group of pictures and video ... isn't nature wonderful. The little Herring Gull chicks behind the hatching baby were the perfect coloring to blend in with their surroundings. Oh my, I am always amazed. Thank you Margaret for this peek into the private lives of these beautiful birds.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great series, looks like a wonderful place for birding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the ringed plover and that fantastic video!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great sightings of really nice birds and really good that you were able to get photos of them. The video is a really nice extra!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to the Big Ole World, Little Ones.. Loved the Videos ---and all of the pictures of thew little ones!!! Thanks for sharing the fledglings..

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting.You manage to get such fascinating images.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute little ones! I have always loved the adorable Plovers. Great post, Margaret! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how wonderful to be able to see teh newly hatched and the one in process. :) Loved all images.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, unique birds again, Margaret. Plovers, Oystercatcher, I would never know without blogging and you♡♡♡

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs to from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  19. The wee ones ARE delightful! I don't get to see many shore/ocean birds like this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SOOO many chicks being photographed! It's such a delight! Love the images of the plover chicks and the oystercatcher chicks and the herring gull too. Great shots all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great series of photos. A very successful birding day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely little fuzzy one! You caught them all just right!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great images . . . always!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A variety of beautiful birds and beautiful photos of them.

    ReplyDelete