Sunday 15 September 2013

RSPB Belfast Reserve

I popped into the RSPB Reserve at Belfast Harbour the other day and although the weather was not good for photographs and the birds were at a distance, also I had to shot them through glass, it was all worthwhile for me.  This post is for me as a record of some the the birds I saw so sorry about the quality of the photographs



 Greylag Geese and those 3 dots are Teal. 
There were the only duck in the Reserve while I was there.






There were 4 Curlew Sandpiper which we don't see very often here and the bird on the right is a Black tailed Godwit.


The Curlew Sandpipers were in the company of Dunlin and as they looked very similar, they were sometimes hard to find them. 
There is one on this shot. 
Can you see it?

A professional Irish guide, Eric Dempsey has made a great ID illustrative article showing the differences between Dunlin and Curlew Sandpipers and  it can be found at this link below -

Dunlin/Curlew Sandpiper ID



This is the link to Eric Dempsey's web site



 There was also a male and female Ruff which again we do not see to often at the reserve..




We still have a few Common Tern that seem to be waiting for their chicks to be old enough to fly back with them.


 The other bird that was excting to see for me to was the 2 Little Stint however it was over on the other side of our reserve and only visible through the telescope. 

On my way out of the reserve I photographed these Arum (Lord's and Ladies)  These orange berries are poisonous.



I was very excited to have seen these birds that we do not get often in
Northern Ireland.
Thank you  for visiting.

19 comments:

  1. no I cannot spot anyone else ;-(, and these are great photos never mind about the quality :-) I'm glad you shared them Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Lynn I am not surprised you cannot spot the 1 curlew Sandpiper becauae it is a bad photo!! However it is there. I will email you with where it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a bonus to get good pictures. The best days are those when one can sit and watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right, I did enjoy my time watching and having chats, also sharing with other birder that day. Thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete
  4. What a pleasure to view these lovely birds. Those berries are very pretty. Wishing you a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI BL Glad you enjoyed the post and especially the berries. Thanks for comment.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Dunlins and Ruffs are big rarities in Australia, and yet here they are strolling around your local Reserve! I'm glad you shared your outing even though you didn't like your photos - they are still interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christian I am glad you thought it better to put the photos on s that other could see these birds. I don't think I have ever seen them in Australia either. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful shots of these lovely birds Margaret! Love the long beaks on the ...??sandpipers??. Thanks for sharing these shots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jeanne Many thanks for your comments. The Curlew Sandpipers have slightly longer baks than the Dunlins and can be seen better in the 4th shot on the post.

      Delete
  7. It looks like you had fantastic bird sightings and that's always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Shey You are correct adn I was very pleased. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on sighting and photographing these beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Many thanks for your kind comments and I am glad you enjoyed the post

      Delete
  9. How great many birds :) Looks like you had a fun day of birdwatching. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    Have a nice week. Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Hilde :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hilde Yes, it was a fun day of birding. I am glad you enjoyed it. thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete