Thursday 15 August 2013

Butterflies, Dragonflies & Damselflies in Vi's Meadow

After taking you to Australia yesterday, I have returned to my friend Vi's today,  however not to her garden this time but to cottages that Michael, her husband and herself hire out in the heart of the countryside, only 4 miles from their home.  Michael, mainly runs this business and as a farmer is very keen to encourage birds on his farm by planting a few acres of wild flowers and leaving rough 6 feet around the fields that he grows cereal crops in.  Although I am not showing you any birds today, I will tomorrow.  Today its the turn of the insects.


Small Tortoiseshell 



I have to thanks Trevor from The Herald blog for helping my ID some the the below insects.  I have just purchased an IPad mini to take onto the field to help with ID birds and yesterday I added an App for Butterflies.  This year is the first time photographing them and I do struggle with some IDs even though we only have 35 different species in Northern Ireland!! 

  
Barnwell Farm Cottages are situated off a quiet country road, in the heart of the Ards Peninsula, 1 mile from Strangford Lough and 2 miles from the Irish Sea coast. To see more of the cottages click the yellow link.  The location is protected from the noise and bustle of everyday life. It is tranquil and relaxing, surrounded by farmland and unspoilt countryside.  Around the cottages there are 5 different trails including a badger one that you can take at night. 



This is Elm cottage at Barnwell Farm 


 Michael works closely with the RSPB advisers and this year he thinks that 2-3 pairs of Yellowhammer breed.





Ringlet


Speckled Wood 


Shaded Broad-Bar  Scotopteryx chenopodiata


Large White




Close up of Large White (bit blurry)


This is a tiny little part of the wonderful meadow that Michael has made for the birds and insects. 


Marmalade Hoverfly - Episyrphus balteatus. (Thanks to Errol for ID)
   I have now done more research and have discovered that in the UK there are over 300 types of Hoverflies!!!  No wonder I am confused!!!



As I walked round I photographed some the the wild plants and
above and below are 2 of them.  Looks like flies to me on the one below!




 As you can see from the sign below, this Holly Tree is not very big yet as it was only planted in 2010 by Prince Charles when he visited the farm.




These Meadow Brown's are a bit moth eaten! 




Also these Green veined Whites are a little worse for wear.


Now to the Dragonflies and Damselflies.

  At the bottom of Michael and Vi's lane,  there is a Trout fishing lake run by Peter, Michael's brother. 
This is where I found all of the below.


Common Blue Damselfly Male


Then my eyes nearly left my head when I saw two mating.  I have never seen this before let alone photographed it. 


They were quite cooperative in not moving around too much. 






And finally the Common Darter below who was sunning himself on this stone.


Occasionally moving to another stone. 


I hope you enjoyed walking around the meadows with me.  Tomorrow I am showing you birds I saw on the farm and also ones I saw on my way home along with a beautiful Abbey.
Thanks for visiting today.
MANY THANKS TO ALL who commented on ANY of my blogs today.

30 comments:

  1. First your photos are stunning, each and everyone of them. Fabulous that farmers can actively work to save our wildlife, such considerate farming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a wonderful place. I hope all this hard work pays off. It looks as if it is doing.
    Great set of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly AWESOME captures!!! I think that "MAYBE" your little insect that you needed ID on is a hover fly - but I am not at all sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots of the butterflies and dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great images Margaret, but what I really enjoyed the most was Michael and Vi's attitude towards farming and wildlife it's always good to hear as too often it's negative news about farmers/farming and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have taken some really nice shots Margaret. The Small Tortoiseshell in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are wonderful Margaret and a great selection of butterflies. Wonderful to hear of a farmer doing so much to help the wildlife on his farm :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super pics Margaret :-) Particularly like the insect on the blue flower- some kind of hover fly?

    ReplyDelete
  9. my favourite is that first butterfly; how beautiful. The apps will be very helpful Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning Margaret, the connection at the hotel is very iffy and a lot of your photos aren't loading up for me, but what I did see are gorgeous! Thank you for your help with the font on my blog by the way, and the other tips you mentioned I have taken note.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margaret....the colors and clarity of your wildlife images are extraordinary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love all your shots of butterflies, and damselflies! They are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an awesome place the manage - for visitors and wildlife alike!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are amazingly sharp images, Margaret. Just beautiful. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post, a lot to see!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous array of wildlife Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should be a professional nature photographer! Your photos are always such a treat to look at.The Damselfly, I have pictures of one looking very much like it. But how do you tell the difference between a damselfly and a dragonfly? The mating scenes are something not seen and amazing. Your tortoiseshell shots are superb, and even the antenna, it looks like a man made chain. The hoverfly has a lovely pattern, but how on earth would you tell one from a bee?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hoverfly is Episyrphus balteatus; ubiquitous, sometimes a mass emigration from Europe/mainland UK. Enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truly beautiful. Thank you for brightening my world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing clear pictures.Butterfly and insect photos are hard for me to get right.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant images and the lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are wonderful photos. I hope your apps help with the identification of the birds and insects you photograph. The cottages and meadows look like a wonderful place for a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Margaret wow! Every picture is wonderful and I'm in total awe that you have identified everything.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful photos!
    Greetings from, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
  25. I see you've been chasing dragons as well. :) Wonderful shots!
    However, it is that gorgeously colored butterfly that grabs my attention today. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful photographs!
    The Small Tortoiseshell butterfly was fantastic. Such color!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Margaret... Wonderful post, and great photo's!! What a lovely place you friend has set up for the wildlife!!
    Beautiful Tortoiseshell!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Margaret... Wonderful post, and great photo's!! What a lovely place you friend has set up for the wildlife!!
    Beautiful Tortoiseshell!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Grace I am so glad you liked this post and the wildlfie. Thanks foe comment.

      Delete